Norm's Notes for January 2018
- For this article, Log In to:
- View eVersion | Download PDF
■Hello Everybody, and a Happy, Healthy New Year to you all! This is your Club Insider Publisher and Tribal Leader Since 1993 checking in with our 289th monthly edition of Club Insider as we celebrate our 25th Anniversary throughout the year!
■Is America a GREAT country, or what? Hmm... hmm... hmm! Again, Happy, Healthy New Year to you all! I wish you all the very best of health and excellent business, no matter what you do in our great industry, as we roll into 2018, the New Year!
■Club Insider tries to keep up with those we have lost each year in our industry. So, every year at this time, I review each monthly edition of Club Insider during the previous year, so I can write this Norm's Note remembering and honoring those we have lost from our industry. Here are those we lost during 2017:
- JANET DOYLE passed away on January 18, 2017. Janet was the wife of JOHN DOYLE, our good friend, and one of those who was instrumental in the creation of IHRSA. May Janet Doyle Rest In Peace.
- JANINE ACKERMAN and MARIOS HORTIS, two employees of the Equinox Club located at The Shops at Merrick Park in Coral Gables, Florida, were shot by a disgruntled former employee, and they both died in the hospital later in the day on April 9, 2017. May Janine Ackerman and Marios Hortis Rest In Peace.
- JERRY RICHARDSON passed away on May 19, 2017. Jerry was the father of our good friend and excellent Club Insider Contributing Author, KAREN WOODARD-CHAVEZ. May Jerry Richardson Rest In Peace.
- BOB KUCHEFSKI passed away on May 26, 2017. Bob was a great man and a 30+ year club business veteran in the insurance industry. May Bob Kuchefski Rest In Peace.
- MICHAEL SCOTT SCUDDER passed away on June 30, 2017. Michael Scott was the friend of many of us and long-time veteran club consultant and speaker. He passed away from complications related to surgery on his hip that he had on June 17th. May Michael Scott Scudder Rest In Peace.
- LYLE SCHULER passed away on September 23, 2017. Lyle was the husband of HOLLY SCHULER and father of COLTON SCHULER, and he had many friends in our industry, including yours truly and EDDIE TOCK, the best man in Lyle and Holly's Wedding. Lyle was the owner of MAC Fitness in Kingston, New York. May Lyle Schuler Rest In Peace.
■I want to express my sincere condolences to our friends, DEREK BARTON, and his wife, ALLYSON, for the loss of her Father, IRV SAUNDERS. Mr. Saunders was a United States Marine who passed away at age 95 on New Year's Eve. Mr. Saunders served in World War II, and he was highly decorated as a war hero who was honored with two Purple Hearts after being wounded in action twice during World War II while he was fighting for our freedom. I want to Thank Allyson for her Dad's service to our country. And, Thanks to Derek and Allyson for sharing the beautiful photos of her Dad's funeral last week. While I'm at it, I also want to remember my Dad, Norm Cates, Sr. who served in the U.S. Air Force for 21 years. During World War II, my Dad was a gunner on U.S. Air Force bombers, flying missions off of New Guinea, an island off the North coast of Australia.
■Happy 90th Birthday MR. RAY WILSON!
To view the full article, please Log In.
If you are not a Paid Subscriber, we welcome you to Subscribe Now.